Anufriev 1972
50%
Gurgenidze 1975
50%

Total votes: 2

Siegfried Hornecker

KLINGelingeling

Postby Siegfried Hornecker » 24 February 2008, 7:53 pm

The headline could translate to ding dong ding dong or ring ding ding ding. Duke Nukem would say: Hail to the Kling, bebe!

As you may have noticed by a not so small pun, we'll talk about the Kling theme - or combination Kling - today. Allow me to go a little bit into history therefor.

Josef Kling was born on March 19, 1811 in Mainz. First he worked as a musician in a church and music teacher but soon came to Paris (in 1834) where he became a professional chess player in the famous Café de la Regence. It's a great pity the café burnt down in 1910. Today we only have modern cafés which are no longer useful for coming in, sitting down, spending your life on chess.

Back to history about Kling: He was the man who wrote together with Berhard Horwitz the most important book Chess Studies; or: Endings of Games.* Two years before this, he created a study where white locks his own bishop in order to reach stalemate. It was, however, a dualistic study so it's only reproduced here for historical reasons.

Josef Kling
The Chess Euclid 1849
White to move and draw

Besides the wanted 1.Bf1+! Sbc4+ 2.Ke2+ Rxd1 3.Qxc4+ Kxc4 also the dual 1.Ke2+ Rxd1 2.Qxb6+ Kc3 3.Qb3+ Kd4 4.Qb6+ Kxc4 works, when white has many ways to sacrifice his queen. Today, when white locks a piece to stalemate himself, it is known as Kling due to this study. A critical move (a move, where the locked piece crosses the field the blocker enters later) is necessary.

* The books are available for download on Google Books or my website (I got it from Google Books, too). Many thanks to the Wikipedia author DaQuirin on de.wikipedia.org for the links in the article of Josef Kling!
Links: Chess Studies (7 MB) - The Chess Euclid (Google Books, 7 MB) - Chess Studies (Google Books, 7 MB)

Now after this short introduction on with a few studies this time. I hope to have chosen only the best for you. As always, feel free to vote for your favorite. Also make sure to come back for more action later when I show a few problems with the Kling theme in a reply.

Vladimir Bron
Shakhmaty Listok 1930, 3rd honoring mention
White to move and draw

1.Ra1 Re1 2.Sxe3 Rxa1 3.Lxa1 d1Q 4.Sxd1 dxc2 5.Sb2! c1Q= stalemate

Sadly, the other two studies with this final position are dualistic so I had to choose this one. Here we see how to immobilize two pieces with a Kingpin - err, Kling pin.

V. Anufriev
Shakhmaty v SSSR 1972
White to move and draw

1.Kc1 Kb4 2.Ba1!! Ka4 3.Kd2 b5 4.Kc3 b4+ 5.Kb2! d2= stalemate
Rundlauf and Kling

David Gurgenidze
L'Italia Scacchistica 1975, 3rd prize
White to move and draw

1.g6! fxg6 2.f7 Re6 3.e5! Rxe5 4.e4 Re6 5.e5 Rxe5 6.e4 Re6 7.e5 Rxe4 8.Rh1! a3 9.f8Q Rf5+ 10.Kg1 a2! 11.Qf6+! exf6= stalemate

Return to “Siegfried's Problem Warehouse”